THIS IS NOT A GAME: NBA 2K17
Just a couple of weeks ago, 2K released the latest iteration of the top-rated NBA video game, NBA 2K17. The latest version features an all-new MyCAREER mode featuring award-winning actor Michael B. Jordan, as well as the most realistic on-court NBA simulation to date (considering each version being better than the last one). Additionally, fans that participated in “The Prelude”, a free downloadable experience available prior to launch, can continue their MyCAREER experience as they progress through their NBA career.
“We’re thrilled to deliver an even more ambitious and authentic basketball experience in NBA 2K17,” said Greg Thomas, President of Visual Concepts. “Both new fans and NBA 2K veterans will have the most comprehensive experience in our franchise’s history, starting with an unparalleled MyCAREER showcase placing gamers throughout a unique, compelling storyline.”
By now, thousands of 2K fans have had about 3 weeks of 2K17 game play under their belts. For those who haven’t had an opportunity (or still taking their time on picking the game up) to try it out, here are the new features to get you excited:
- Best-in-Class Gameplay: NBA 2K17 puts shot creation and making in your hands like never before. Advanced Skill Shooting gives you complete control over the power and aim of your perimeter shots as well as your ability to finish inside the paint;
- USA Basketball: Take the court as the USA Basketball Men’s National Team with Coach K on the sidelines, or relive the glory of the ’92 Dream Team. Earn USA Basketball MyTEAM cards and gear up your MyPLAYER with official USA Basketball wearables;
- MyCAREER: It’s all-new and all about basketball in 2K17 – and you’re in control. Your on-court performance and career decisions lead to different outcomes as you determine your path through an immersive new narrative, featuring Michael B. Jordan. Additionally, new player controls give you unparalleled supremacy on the court;
- Unrivaled Presentation: The most realistic and dynamic in-game commentary to date featuring the most broadcasting talent ever assembled in a sports game, including new additions Chris Webber, Steve Smith, David Aldridge & Brent Barry. For the first time in a sports videogame, broadcast teams will change from game to game to ensure a unique experience each time you play;
- 2K BEATS: Imagine Dragons, Grimes, Noah “40” Shabib of OVO Sound and Michael B. Jordan curate another electric 2K soundtrack, featuring 50 songs;
- MyNBA2K17 Mobile Companion Application: Available for free in the App Store for iOS and on Google Play for Android, MyNBA2K17 directly connects players to the console version of NBA 2K17, including the debut of all-new face simulation technology, enabling fans to bring their visual appearance in-game.
Now, why am I talking about NBA 2K17 weeks after it has been released? 8 players qualified during the Preliminaries that happened this weekend at the SM Southmall. If you lucked out and missed the opportunity this weekend, there’s still a 3rd leg (128 participants) happening on October 29 during the E-Sports and Gaming Summit (ESGS) held at the SMX Convention Center. The NBA 2K17 Asia – Philippines Final Round will be on October 30th at the same venue. Players can still register for FREE via Slam Online PH (www.slamonlineph.com). The Winner and Runner-Up will represent the Philippines in the NBA 2K17 Asia Regional Finals in Taipei early next year.
I personally haven’t tried but giving myself the next two weeks to play and give an assessment of this year’s edition of NBA 2K17. Both the NBA 2K17 Standard Edition as well as the Kobe Bryant Legend Edition (and Legend Edition Gold) are now available via your official 2K game distributors.
Here are some of the images from last month’s Media and Consumer release. Gilas Cadet Von Pessumal and Phenix Fuel Master Simon Enciso were in attendance along with 2K16 Asian Finalists Rial Polog and Wilmer Magno. Both dominated the competition in the Asian Finals last year.